Recommended Oil Use
Essential oils are safe when we use them correctly. However, you cant overwhelm your body with such potent oils. You must follow important guidelines to maximize the benefits of your oils.
Cells in the body employ complex chemical reactions to metabolize the essential oil, but when the body is overwhelmed with an improper amount, it exceeds the cells’ metabolic capacity. Remember that it is never desired or appropriate to exceed the metabolic capacity of the cells. Using an essential oil in the way and amount that it was intended will help you prevent overwhelming the body with incorrect essential oil levels.
- Avoid applying oils directly to the nose, ears, or around the eyes.
- Consider dilution when applying oils topically. Dilution helps you avoid sensitivity with essential oils, and is particularly helpful for young or small children, or those with sensitive skin. It is also important to remember that some essential oils (Cassia, Cinnamon, Geranium, Lemongrass, Oregano, and Thyme) should always be diluted before topical use.
- Make sure to store essential oils out of the reach of children to prevent accidental ingestion.
- Store oils away from excessive light or heat, because this can alter the chemical properties of the essential oil significantly.
- Always help younger children apply essential oils to make sure they get the proper amount. It is also a good idea to encourage teenagers to set a good example for younger children by always following guidelines for proper usage.